Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Family Room Refresh Project

As mentioned here, I’ve decided to follow Sarah’s linky party schedule to give you a tour of my house.  This month…family rooms.

So, just thinking out loud here.  My family room and kitchen really don’t get along.  They aren’t a horrible match, but I really want to marry the two spaces better than they are today.  When we moved into our house 6 1/2 years ago, I was fixated on the brown and blue craze.  It’s not that I don’t like it anymore, but when I picked the paint color, I didn’t pick well.  The blue in there is a bit too“baby” blue.  Maybe it was because I was 9 months pregnant when we moved here, I don’t know.  I do know that it’s not working for me anymore.

Anyhow, I’m currently onto the grey craze.  I’m thinking a very light grey will work well with the cream walls in the kitchen creating a better flow.  I’ve been going in circles in my head about this little refresher for the family room and have changed my mind a few (million) times about the vibe in there.  One thing is for sure, it needs some contrast.  There’s a whole lot of brown going on in here.

Brown, brown and more brown!

family room

I could go on and on about the ideas flying around my head, but instead of going in circles about my indecision, I’ll just give you a peek of what it’s like today.  And if I get my act together, there may even be some updates to share by 2013.

left

Pictures above the TV are taken out of an old calendar.

pics above tv

I’m a Target girl and it shows…pillows, throws, curtains, poppy art print, candlesticks, bird and even the area rug are ALL from my favorite one stop shop – Target!

right angle

And of course we had to add some family in the family room by adding these large framed photos of the kids.

IMG_3692

We chose leather couches for its easy maintenance.  I love that it will just look better with age and any mishaps simply wipe off.

IMG_3695

As usual, rocks from our vacations on Lake Michigan make an appearance.

IMG_3696

full room

That’s it for now.

Thanks for stopping by today!

 

Make sure to follow along so you can see the latest updates!

Simply pick your favorite way to follow over on the right sidebar.

Facebook –  Email Subscription – GFC – Linky

6 comments:

  1. It totally looks cozy. I refuse to do any sort of family room reveal in my house since it is just *THAT* awful. I love all your great Target finds! I may have to go browse there.. since they already take a lot of my money anyhow! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your Target finds, too. What's wrong with shopping at Target? Inexpensive doesn't have to be "cheap" or tacky. Just because one spends tons of money on something doesn't mean it's any better, and it may actually be quite tasteless. Enjoy your bargain hunting - I want to see what other people do for less dollars, not tons of dollars! We pretty much know what can be done with tons of dollars :) I think your room is very comfortable looking and has a nice touch of elegance (the round end table is very pretty, I like the curtains a lot) that elevates it to stylish, not 1980s dumpy. Since you want a change, perhaps if you change out the area rug and the wall color, and maybe paint the end table a creamy white (if you are into painting furniture), you will be amazed at the difference in the room without changing another thing. Maybe pick out a color from the print in the curtains? Visiting from Thrifty Decor Chick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jan! We are on the same wavelength...painting that table is already on my VERY long to do list.;) I appreciate your sweet comment! So glad you stopped by.

      Delete
  3. I'll be happy to follow along for updates. I love Target too! I thought I was the only one who brought home rocks from vacation!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I could just crawl right into that space and feel right at home! I love the comfy vibe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks so homey! Love it! Thanks for sharing at the Pomp Party!

    ReplyDelete

I'm so glad you stopped by for a slice of Plumberry Pie today! Your comments make my day, so comment away!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...