Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Advent Wreath Update

I'm putting the life-size Angry Birds slingshot on hold until tomorrow.  Since the second Sunday of Advent is around the corner, I thought I should get this out now in case anyone wanted to make an Advent Wreath this season.

As a child, I enjoyed lighting the wreath every week and wanted that to be a part of my kids' lives too.  I've wanted to make an Advent Wreath the past couple of years, but wanted to update the look a bit.  I realize it's the meaning that counts, but the crafty side of me wanted to beautify it too.   The purple and pink candles just weren't doing it for me, but last year I noticed my church did all white candles and so I thought, I can too!  I think they had colored ribbons or something to reflect the purple and pink, which is what I chose to do.

Here are the supplies I used to make my updated version of the Advent Wreath:
four white pillar candles, purple ribbon, mauve ribbon ( in place of pink), some greenery, white glitter letter stickers, leftover gold paper from gratitude wreath leaves, 2 inch hole punch, plate or platter, glue dots (or glue gun, I used glue dots, worked great!)
I used my hole punched gold paper to put the words hope, faith, joy and love on each candle.  Originally, I started with a long narrow plate, but wasn't able to use the greens like I wanted.  It looked nice, but...



I wasn't satisfied, so I changed to an oval platter to better hold the greens.  I liked it much better.  I wasn't sure what order the words should go in, then I poked around a bit and found that it made sense to do it as follows: Week 1 - Hope, Week 2 - Faith, Week 3 - Joy, Week 4 - Love.  I don't think there is a right or wrong for the words and you don't even need them, I just thought it was something to help us focus on the meaning better as we go through the season.

If you have an updated tradition, send it my way, I'd love to see it!
Enjoy the season!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you stopped by for a slice of Plumberry Pie today! Your comments make my day, so comment away!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...