I couldn’t take it anymore! I was going to wait until I was done with the playroom floors, but I just started ripping and couldn’t stop. Those stairs kept snickering at me every time I walked by and I couldn’t hold back any longer.
In my head, it was going to be a straight forward thing. Remove carpet, padding, staples and tack strips. Then I discovered the builders had bad aim when they nailed the stairs together. Daggers hanging out from the stairs. Awesome.
I was perplexed as to how to handle them, but the hubs was sure it was a simple case of reverse engineering. I wasn’t convinced, but he was right. A little tap-a-roo upwards until the top of the nail popped up giving enough leverage to pull it out with the hammer from above. There are two left that we couldn’t quite get, so we’ll have to get creative. We still need to replace the nails, hopefully with better aim than the builders. Then I can start prepping them for paint.
It ain’t pretty now, but it will be worth it. I can see it now. Black steps with contrasting white risers. Aww yeah!
Check out my Painted Subfloor Pinterest board for some prettier pictures than this.