Monday, May 7, 2012

Unexpected Cake Topper & EASIEST Chicken Tacos

Saturday Erin made her First Communion and we decided to celebrate Cinco de Mayo style since it was in fact, Cinco de Mayo.

IMG_2801

IMG_2802

These past few weeks have been super busy, so I wanted this shin dig to be super easy!  Here’s what we did….chips and salsa – easy…

IMG_2804

veggies and dip – super easy (my MIL brought them, can’t get easier than that) and a taco bar – ground beef or chicken.

The chicken taco recipe I used was ridiculously easy!  The funny thing is my friend told me about it and guess where she got the recipe…my sister!  Too funny.

EASIEST Chicken Tacos EVER!

  • 4 chicken breasts (adjust this number to your size, I used 8 for the party)
  • your favorite salsa

Directions:

  1. Put the raw chicken breasts in a crockpot.
  2. Dump your favorite salsa over it.
  3. Walk away for a while. 
  4. Once the breasts are cooked, shred them with two forks and BOOM, that’s it!
  5. Eat!

** If you can do it the night before and reheat the next day, even better…helps the flavors soak in.

I also made my favorite avocado bell pepper salsa that you can eat with chips or eat just as a salad.  It’s sooo good.  So we had two crockpots of taco meat and chicken, all the toppings, munchies and of course we can’t forget dessert!

As you know, I’m lucky enough to have a chef for a sister, so she brought this delicious vanilla mousse cake.  I told her I would take care of the decorations for the top.  I was going to make tissue paper flowers attached to bamboo skewers, was going to buy flowers, was going to find a cross to put on it…in the end, I did not have time to make or find any of those things.

So when I was on my Target run, I came across these pretty little chipboard flowers in the scrapbook section.  I thought, why not?  My first thought was to try to find a pretty communion card that I could dismantle and use on the cake, but there weren’t any pretty communion cards to be found, thus the scrapbook flowers became the decoration…what do you think? 

IMG_2809

I was really happy with it…yes, I put them on a bit off-center, but I was to the point where it just didn’t matter. I wanted to savor this moment with my family and not worry about the rest.

IMG_2824

Oh, and I picked up cupcakes from Taste Love Cupcakes.  I mentioned on Facebook that one of Erin’s friend’s mom’s recently won Cupcake Wars on Food Network Channel.  Both Erin and I were beyond excited about this, so we thought the cupcakes would be a nice addition.

IMG_2823

I like getting creative with parties, but I also like to be able to enjoy them while I’m there, and this was just that kind of party.

Easy, easy, easy so I could enjoy the reason we were all together!

IMG_2793

For more fiesta inspiration, check out my Cinco de Mayo pinboard.

2 comments:

  1. I am so sad I missed her special day! I am glad the tacos were a hit! Love to you all...especialy E!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on your daughter's first communion. Your celebration sounds like my kind of party!

    ReplyDelete

I'm so glad you stopped by for a slice of Plumberry Pie today! Your comments make my day, so comment away!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...