Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Summer Calendars – More Washi Fun!

I love the lazy days of summer, but sometimes that’s a recipe for sibling bickering and whining if you don’t have some sort of plan.  I’m not a very structured person and that is why I need some sort of structure to keep me on track. 

Don’t get me wrong.  I don’t want to over schedule our days because I also think it’s important for kids to be able to find their own fun, but I don’t want to waste our days away because we have no plan at all.  This year I’m determined to find a good balance of scheduled activities and “loosely planned,” lazy days.

Since I am a very visual person, it’s best if everything is laid out there in front of me to see.  So I decided to hang giant calendars on the wall to serve as a visual reminder to keep some kind of loose plan.  There’s really nothing fancy about what I did, but here’s what you need:

  • 3 poster boards
  • washi tape or some kind of decorative tape
  • markers
  • ribbon
  • Scotch tape
  • 3M hook

Using the wash tape, I created the grid for each month’s calendar.  I still need to make August because someone swiped my third poster board.  I’m not naming names, but he is short and cute.

IMG_2925

Then I just used a different color marker for each child’s scheduled activities and a color for family activities like vacations.

IMG_2926

IMG_2927

Then I linked them together with ribbon and hung them on the wall.  The poster board is flopsy, so you will also need to tape the back.

IMG_2928

 All of our scheduled things like camp and vacations are marked, then I have a list of ideas next to it to help fill in the blanks on days we need ideas.

Truly nothing fancy going on here. Handwritten to do list in fun colors and literally used the washi tape to hang it on the wall. We can easily add to the list and add another sheet below it if needed.

IMG_2934

IMG_2931

IMG_2932

Now, on unplanned days, we can look over at our summer checklist and see our options or even better yet, make a plan for the next day.

IMG_2935

It’s silly, but I’m in love with these calendars.

That washi tape can make anything fun!

So, how about you?

Are you ready for the summer?!

Sun

What do you do to stay on track to avoid the whining trap?

Feel free to leave ideas or links in the comments area!

7 comments:

  1. It's not silly! It's super-cute and so organized! I love that the idea list is kept so handy to draw from. I think I might have my kids make their own list...so when they tell me that they have nothing to do, I'll have somewhere to send them.

    A few of my kids' friends' moms (my friends, too:) and I are planning our second annual summer field trip club. Each of us comes up with some destinations and we try to put one on the calendar each week. It's so easy for me to let those summer days slip by without branching out to new places and experiences. This way I have at least one thing planned.

    I need to get on this! Thanks for the kick in the pants!
    +Cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m liking that field trip idea! Need to try that out. That may be just the thing we need to get through those not so exciting weeks. Thanks for the idea!

      Delete
  2. Clever girl! If we aren't conscious of what we are doing, each day can fly by and we have no fun to show for it. I say schedule it. I'm thinking of adapting this for when my little ones come to visit. BTW-I totally understood your comment! Great minds:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cute! I love washi tape! The possibilities are endless! Thanks for sharing at the Pomp Party. Pinning to our Pomp Party board!

    Jill @ Create.Craft.Love.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your approach to life, Kim! The calendar is so fun and clever. I bet your kids are going to love having this calendar...and it will help build anticipation for upcoming activities. Thanks for sharing at Show & Tell.

    Sharon @ mrs .hines class

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just ordered my first few rolls, what a fun project for them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this Kim! I made a list for the craft store, thanks for the great & easy idea!

    ReplyDelete

I'm so glad you stopped by for a slice of Plumberry Pie today! Your comments make my day, so comment away!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...