Sunday, September 1, 2013

Shop Great Deals to Raise Money for Alzheimer’s

Hi everyone!

Hope you’re all having a wonderful Labor Day weekend!  I just caught this post over at South Shore Decorating Blog tipping me off to a sale over at Bloomingdales that raises money to fund research to end Alzheimer’s.  For more details, go over to her blog here or go straight to this Bloomingdales link for purses, jewelry, clothes and shoes.  Wanted to get this out to you because the sale ends Monday!  Use the code Take20 for an additional 20%.

Also, my family and I are walking to END Alzheimer’s Sunday, September 8th.  If you’ve been reading a while, you know that my dad has Alzheimer’s.  I wrote a post last year on the realities of Alzheimer’s and insight on what it’s like.  How it’s more than forgetting someone’s name or your car keys.  It’s forgetting how to do everyday things.

It’s been a year of many changes with my dad.  Shortly after his 80th birthday, we moved him into a nursing home.  Moving someone you love into a nursing home is quite a test of trust and definitely brings on a feeling of guilt.  But in the end, we knew it was time and the best thing for all of us.  Thankfully, that has proven to be nothing but true. 

Sometimes Alzheimer’s can bring out a personality that isn’t the person you knew, but we are so fortunate that the opposite has happened.  The best side of my dad has come back alive in the nursing home.  He was once a social butterfly and now has the opportunity to fist pump and hug staff and fellow residents just like old times.  That is so my dad and it’s so great to see that side of him again!  And it’s a treat to watch him eat a treat, especially ice cream.  Never fails, every time, he is surprised and delighted about how good it tastes.  Makes my heart smile.  He may not know how to use a spoon anymore, but don’t worry, he’ll find a way to get dessert down.

If you’d like more information or want to support the cause, check out their website at www.alz.org.

end_alz

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you stopped by for a slice of Plumberry Pie today! Your comments make my day, so comment away!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...