Monday, November 26, 2012

Updated Advent “Wreath”

This is actually a rerun post revised from last year, but last year only about five people read my blog, so I thought it was definitely worth a rerun.

Original post here.

………………………………………………………………

As a child, I enjoyed lighting the Advent Wreath every week and wanted that to be a part of my kids' lives too. I've wanted to make an Advent Wreath the past couple of years, but wanted to update the look a bit. I realize it's the meaning that counts, but the crafty side of me wanted to beautify it too. The purple and pink candles just weren't doing it for me, but last year I noticed my church did all white candles and so I thought, I can too! I think they had colored ribbons or something to reflect the purple and pink, which is what I chose to do.

Supplies:

  • four white or cream pillar candles
  • purple ribbon, mauve ribbon ( in place of pink)
  • some greenery
  • white glitter letter stickers
  • leftover gold paper from gratitude wreath leaves
  • 2 inch hole punch
  • plate or platter
  • glue dots (or glue gun)

So all you need to do is cut your ribbon to fit around your candles and glue them on.  I also used my 2 inch hole punch to create gold circles to stick to the front with the words hope, faith, joy and love on each.  I wasn't sure what order the words should go in, then I poked around a bit and found that it made sense to do it as follows:

Week 1 - Hope, Week 2 - Faith, Week 3 - Joy, Week 4 - Love.

I don't think there is a right or wrong for the words and you don't even need them, I just thought it was something to help us focus on the meaning better as we go through the season.

So there you have it.  My simple reinvention of the Advent Wreath.

Have you reinvented any holiday traditions around your house?  I would love to hear about it!!  Leave me a link or tell me about it in the comments.

Happy Decorating!

Kim

Linking this up in the usual places on my linky tab, Centsational Girl & Hi Sugarplum! on button below.

Holiday

1 comment:

  1. I love this idea, Kim! I was just thinking that this was the year to do an advent wreath on the table. Your idea of putting the words on each candle makes it even more meaningful with kids. I'm so glad I have a crafty friend with good ideas!

    ReplyDelete

I'm so glad you stopped by for a slice of Plumberry Pie today! Your comments make my day, so comment away!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...